[OM] OM-2000 longevity issues

Subject: [OM] OM-2000 longevity issues
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:47:59 -0400
I've posted about this before, but for those who missed it, I've got an
OM-2000 that I bought new at the start of this year (2000). It lasted about
2-3 months or about 20 rolls of film before it started randomly firing the
shutter when the film was advanced. It went off to Olympus USA and they
returned it in about 2 weeks after replaced some type of transfer bar. (May
have wrong name of part.) It hasn't acted up since, and I'm grateful for
the fast turn-around time. However, it is worth pointing out that there are
plenty of OM-1's OM-1n's etc. that have recently been CLA'd and have
already withstood the test of time for about what one would pay for a new
OM-2000. Knowing what I've since learned, I really don't think I'd buy
another OM-2000, but at the time I was uncomfortable buying used
(unknown)and really wanted a warranty. Since then, I've somewhat changed my
views as I've gained knowledge. Even still, the OM-2000 has some features
that make it desirable as a camera in it's own right such as decent spot
metering, 1/2000 shutter speed, flash sync at 1/125 and _arguably_ double
exposure (though I've never used that feature).

The OM-2000 remains my "car camera" as I already have it and don't really
care much what happens to it.

Mike Swaim