Re: [OM] Spiratone? Boheh?

Subject: Re: [OM] Spiratone? Boheh?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:24:05 PDT
Hi, Wayne,

Bokeh, various spelled boke, is rooted in a Japanese term used to describe the qualities of how a lens renders out of focus objects. It can range from 'painterly' (or soft and indistinct, depending on the viewer) to harsh.

I like the bokeh of Canon FD lenses for soft yet still recognizable OOF areas. Other lenses, including some Nikkors and the fixed lens on my Canonet G-III QL17, have a rather harsh bokeh that looks rather crosseyed to me. Rather than merging softly and indistinctly, objects like tree limbs, etc., are doubled or tripled and overlayed. I also have a generic CPC 28/2.8 lens with that characteristic. This may be one reason why Nikkors have long been popular with photojournalists - subjects outside the prime focus area are still more distinct and recognizable than with other lenses.

From what I've seen so far (I don't own a Zuiko lens yet but have viewed
hundreds of images online and in magazines) Zuikos appear to have what I'd call a painterly bokeh - gradually merging softly and indistinctly - while retaining sharpness and contrast within the focused subject area. Very attractive to my tastes.

According to what I've read this is by design, not accident. Lenses are designed to achieve certain characteristics deemed desirable by the manufacturer. So it appears to be fair and accurate to make generalizations regarding how lenses render images.

Interestingly, in Japan the word carries more than one meaning, a common use being to describe an absent-minded or foolish person. (That, courtesy of some Japanese correspondents.) So I wonder if in flaunting the term so casually we come across as 'wanna-be's' to the Japanese. ;-) I can only hope so, considering how often we Americans poke fun at other cultures. It gives me a perverse pleasure that I might be considered 'bokeh' myself for using the term so ostentatiously. Hee-hee!

Regarding Spiratone, they're still hanging on in Pennsylvania, tho' I don't know how. Instead of selling their own peculiarities - rather like Porter's - they sell items like lighting equipment that's commonly available elsewhere, but at among the highest prices found anywhere.

The one item they carry that interests me is a single element moderate telephoto with a fixed f/4 aperture, a very primitive optical design which is uniquely capable of capturing portraits that cannot be duplicated any other way. I'm planning to build my own, using a 48mm threaded 10x Vivitar close up diopter (intended for a video camera, I think), probably in conjunction with a bellows for focusing. I've experimented with it using cardboard tubes and the tests were promising. Sharp centers with lovely, soft edges.

Lex

----Original Message Follows----

Am relatively new to the list, and recently back to my OMs (3 plus 10
lenses) after leaving them on the shelf for about fifteen years. They
still work great - its me who is a little  rusty.

Saw "Spiratone" listed in a post. What ever happened to them? Did they become another company or just fade away. Aside from a lot of low cost "juncque" they had a few nifty tools and accessories for close up work.

And, please, what he heck is the specific definition and origin of
"bokeh" I have surmised the general meaning, but am still curious.

Thanks,

Wayne