Re: [OM] Cool photo spots--Iowa edition

Subject: Re: [OM] Cool photo spots--Iowa edition
From: lclark@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:06:06 -0400
In <4.1.20000616205920.03ab7730@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 06/16/00 at 09:32
PM,
   "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>Much of the best is found down some county section line
>road 3-5 miles from the nearest State Highway . . . usually very near a
>creek or river.

Ya want a challenge? I'll give ya a challenge...

In 1947 [how many of you were even born then?], when it was still safe
to do so, I hitch-hiked from college in Cambridge, Mass. to Glendale,
California, to spend the summer with my roommate's  family. There were
many memorable moments of that trip, but one of those that sticks the
longest in memory was a sojourn in the town  of Maybell, Colorado. I
waited there for twelve hours for a ride. Not a car came through. I
finally threw in the towel and took the Greyhound bus into Haber City to
look for another hitch across Death Valley. Had I not taken the bus, I
probably would have had to wait numerous days before another bus came
through. Very probably, there wouldn't have been a single car through
there until the next bus.

Maybell had three buildings. One was a barn. One was a general store.
One was a post office. Oh yes, there was a telephone pole, equipped with
the necessary wires so they weren't cut off from the outside world
altogether. There may even have been a tree and/or a bush. All else was
low hills, dirt and sand and, of course, a burning sun.

Your challenge, should you care to accept it, is to portray Maybell
attractively enough to entice at least one person to move there.

For all I know, Maybell is now a major metropolis. I haven't been back
there since [grin].

les clark / edgewater, nj / usa