[OM] Contest Grand Prize

Subject: [OM] Contest Grand Prize
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 02:11:51 -0700
I've just learned that I was selected as the Grand Prize winner for all
catagories in the Maricopa County (Arizona) Parks and Recreation
Department Photo Contest. They have the largest acreage of parks of any
USA county. Hum, just when I was thinking that one had to make repeat
visits to their favorite photo spots to get a decent landscape shot.
This one, if anyone cares to take a peek at:
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/MaricopaContestWWW.jpg
came about when Susie said "I'd love a picture of a flowering Saguaro
with water." "Oh right," I said aloud, as we were driving the hot and
dry Carefree Highway north of Phoenix, late in the morning one day in
the first week of May. But at the junction of the west road into Lake
Pleasant Regional Park, we saw the first flowing Saguaro of the season.
So we took the road in and ended up at the visitor center, on an
overlook atop a hill. I spotted what seemed a promising composition -
with water and a flowering Saguaro! - so I headed off down slope.

Unfortunately, I left the Zuikos behind and just carried a Leica Z2X. At
least I had a extra roll of film in my pocket, because when I composed
this shot, I had the last two frames of 400 speed Kodak Gold in the
camera. Not too good a choice. This particular pix was the first on a
roll of Fujicolor Super HG 100, shot at 70mm with the mode set to
infinity. Susie had caught up with me just when the sailboats came into
position and got to share in the excitement.

It isn't really my shot alone. It took my muse to see it.  It isn't the
first time I got talked into seeing stuff I would have looked for if it
was just me.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV