[OM] Vivitar lens stuff (was beginner lens question)

Subject: [OM] Vivitar lens stuff (was beginner lens question)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:19:50 PDT
Brian, perhaps you can help with a puzzlement of mine. I have a Vivitar 300mm f/5.6 preset T-mount I'm anxious to try out. Unfortunately my only adaptor (Canon FD type) won't work.

Let's see if I can explain, absent a photo.

The Vivitar has at the rear a chromed collar, fastened in place with three sets screws - pretty typical T-mount stuff. The end is threaded - my guess is the 42mm "coarse" thread.

When I remove the chromed collar to replace it with my T-mount adaptor (which fits fine on my Lentar preset) the adaptor won't quite clear the rear of the lens. It's a squidge too small.

When I tried another adaptor - this one with a correctly threaded inside collar - everything fit just fine, but the lens would not focus to infinity. The combination of the chromed collar plus the adaptor acted as an extension tube.

I don't really have any use for a 300mm macro lens, and I'm sure this wasn't what Vivitar had in mind. Makes no never mind to me whether I find a Canon or Olympus adaptor, just as long as it fits properly so the lens behaves telephotographically.

Thanks,
Lex