[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1684

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1684
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:40:25 +1000
Lex Jenkins wrote:

> While I'd happily acknowledge Tom Scales for use of, oh, say, what's
> probably the most expensive and prized Zuiko in his collection, a 35/2.8
> shift, somehow I doubt he'd be equally happy to part with it uncompensated
> for the year or so it would take to shoot the project.  And I doubt I can
> afford to buy it, alas.  I've already priced the Canon T/S lens - it costs
> more than my three Canon bodies put together.

This is one instance where a large format camera is better than 35mm:
architecture. Even a simple press camera like a Speed Graphic has all
the rise you'll need for the job (ideally get one with a revolving back)
and the 135mm lens will be adequate. And they are very easy to learn how
to use too for simple work, especially of you 1) get somebody
knowledgable to show you; and 2) make a check list!

If sheet film scares you, get a roll film back -- it'll make the angle
of view a bit narrower but also allow more movement form the modest
lens. And for basic front-on architecture, no tilts or swings are
necessary (nor often possible).

Oh, and the price... peanuts compared to a shift lens for any other
camera system. The only expense is the film and processing (which makes
that roll film back look more and more attractive).

I used to have a Linhof Super Technika III, a IV and a V. What a shame
Olympus never made large format lenses...

Vaughan