[OM] Purchase of Zuiko lenses & OM-2N

Subject: [OM] Purchase of Zuiko lenses & OM-2N
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:05:28 -0700 (PDT)
Dear fellow Zuikologists,

I have now received the three Zuiko lenses I ordered from Jaap's "Wide
Angle" site: 21/3.5; 50/1.4; 100/2.8.  They arrived in Wolverhampton,
England on the same day I did. They were very well packed and all three
seem to be in excellent condition. Jaap kindly included front and rear
lens caps.

I expected to be most captivated by the 21/3.5 (the most expensive),
having never used such a wide lens before; it's certainly an
interesting lens. However, the one that really grabbed me was the
100/2.8. This seems to be a remarkably good lens with high resolution
and contrast. All three lenses are remarkably compact compared to, say,
Zeiss lenses of similar specifications.

My main reason for making the trip in June was to attend my daughter
Catharin'e recital for her Master of Music exam at the Royal Academy in
London. She passed with merit, so I was relieved! Another highlight of
my trip was meeting up with Paul Reynolds, a list member who lives in
Wolverhampton. Paul was able to try out the lenses for himself and took
a few portraits of my Indonesian wife (who was very flattered) :-)

Whilst in England, I also acquired a back-up body to my OM-2S, namely,
an OM-2N MD body (I never heard of that model before - does anyone know
where the MD sits in the OM-2x evolution?). Anyway, I'll feel more
secure now that I've got a back-up for the 2S, especially living in
Indonesia! I bought the 2N from Jessops in Wolverhampton, UK, for
GBP115, which includes a 12-month warranty. That's about US$185 and it
seems like a good bargain to me. The camera's clean and in good
condition, as far as I can tell, but I haven't seen the results of
using it yet.

In handling the two cameras, I was conscious of some significant
differences between them.  Most noticeable was the sound when firing
the shutter: the 2N gives a single sharp 'clang', while the 2S gives a
more drawn-out 'clatter', because of its double mirror I suppose.
Neither sound is obtrusive, though.  Another difference I noticed was
the shutter speed rings: on the 2N the ring is wide and smooth to
operate; on the 2S it's narrow and very stiff (I must get that seen to
some day).  Also, the film advance is smoother on the 2N but I
understand that's partly due to the 2S's shorter throw, i.e higher
gearing.  And, of course, the viewfinder is brighter on the 2N (both
have 1-13 screens).

Regards,

Ray