Re: [OM] Re: lens too sharp?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: lens too sharp?
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:05:42 -0400
Mike wrote:

> There are so many ways that one can soften the effects of a sharp
> lens; from using nylons or bridal veils in front of the lens, to using
> petroleum jelly on a filter to using specialty filters, to using different
> lighting...... The one thing that can't be done, however, is to take a soft
> lens and add something in front of it to make it sharper.

That's true.  Lens "sharpness" can be subjective.  Many times an
impression of sharpness is really caused by high contrast, or "pleasing"
contrast, or even subject matter:  I can take expose adjacent frames
with the same lens and settings, but the subject on one may appear much
"sharper".  My "worst" lens--an old no-name screw mt. 105mm--has very
poor contrast and  delivers what look like soft pics.  But if I look
carefully the lens resolves detail quite well, the same really as my
Ziuko 100/2.8

I think that contrast is a more important variable in image quality.
You can use it creatively, say, by using a soft lens in harsh lighting,
and a high contrast lens in very subtle, evenly lit scenes.  The Zuikos
are especially well suited to the latter, especially the 50/2, and I'm
sure the 100/2 . . .(which I've never seen!)

Morgan Sparks