Re: [OM] Slotted Zuiko Screws, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Slotted Zuiko Screws, etc.
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 08:58:57 -0700
Dear Zuiks/Zuikettes:

Sometimes it seems that after about 5 years of this list's existence,
there is no OM topic that has not been discussed in excruciating detail
(sometimes to death!), and now we're just rehashing OM issues that
are old news to the OLY list "foggies", and are mostly invoked by the
list rookies/first-timers, occasional intruders, and veteran list
members now so ancient that their divine OM-sanity is being slowly
replaced with equally divine OM-senility.

Well, imagine my delight when I found out that a topic as mundane as
"slotted vs Phillips screws in Zuikos" can still trigger an excited,
almost exuberant response.  That's great!

As I write this, I'm sure I had an excellent point to make.  But now,
I can't remember what it was!  Drats!!!  I guess I am as senile as the
rest... :-) :-)

Anyways...

Richard Schaetzl wrote:

>> recently I picked up an early silver nose Zuiko 100/2.8, serial
>> no. 1040xx.  Surprise, surprise: it has _slotted_ screws. [snip]
>> So, does anyone else have early OM Zuikos with slottes screws?
>
>And did you ever see an OM-1 with slotted screws in the lens mount?
>I have, exciting indeed. ;-)

Congratulations!  This must be an abberation, or a custom job.  I have
never seen _any_ OM body with slotted screws in the lens mount, not
even on the M-1's.  Of course, Pen F/FT's have them.

>I have seen an 55mm/1.2 with such screws.

Many Zuiks commented on this, and of course my own (black nose) 55/1.2
has slotted screws.  Shame on me!  How could I forget it??  Of course,
the 55/1.2 is quite unique among Zuikos, and its slotted screws are no
exception: they have particularly large heads, much larger than the ones
I found on my early 100/2.8.  This lens must have been a special project
for the OM team, though the Pen F/FT system boasted an equally impressive
42/1.2 Zuiko.

Paul Connet wrote:

Gary, you are very observant. I discovered that my 100mm/f2.8 E.ZUIKO was a
"M-SYSTEM" lens after using it for about two years. Now you tell me to look
at the mount screws, and sure enough, it has slotted screws. (s/n 1012xx in
case you wondered). WOW, what next?

Excellent!  Your M-system lens and my OM-system 100/2.8 must be from the
same production batch.  Wanna swap?  (just kidding! :-) :-))  As to my
next projects: first, I plan to X-ray all the Zuikos, to find out any
anomalies there. Then, I plan to bombard them with neutrino particles.
Next...  well, you get the idea: anything to keep you guys on the cutting
edge of OM/Zuiko research, and at the same time entartained. :-) :-)

Charles Packard wrote:

>Gary, I have a the following silver nosed lenses:
>
>          Element
> lens      code  screw-type  serial#
>55 f/1.2    G     slotted    162xxx
>100 f2.8    E     slotted    103xxx

Hmmm, the usual "suspects"...  I think there's a beginning of a pattern
here.

Ken Norton wrote:

>Great.  Gary detutu Schloss comes back to the list and has us all looking
>up the rear ends of our lenses.

See?  And you thought that _you_ needed some mental rejuvenation... :-)

John Lum wrote:

>I purchased a used 135 f3.5 "E" silver nose a year ago. Only after I got
>it home did I notice it had slotted screws and I've considered selling it
>because I assumed its been apart and reassembled by someone who had
>stripped the phillips screw during disassembly (well that could still be
>the case). The serial # is 1125xx. Glad to see other "slots" out there.

Well, the 135/3.5 is one of Olympus's earliest lenses, and a carry over
from both the FTL and Pen F/FT systems (in the latter -- as a 100/3.5),
so if my hypothesis is correct I would expect also to find early 28/3.5's,
35/2.8's, and 200/4's or 200/5's with slotted screws.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this important exploration.  Now,
don't you wish that all our discussions were as substantial?  :-) :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA