Re: [OM] 72 dpi myth?

Subject: Re: [OM] 72 dpi myth?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 21:45:35 -0600
At 10:38 AM 5/31/2000 +1000, Mark Staiger wrote:
>Hello Giles, I have found this site which you
>might care to look at which discusses the 72 dpi
>myth...do have any comments on this? Or does
>anyone else?
>
>http://www.ekdahl.org/test_dpi/test2dpi.htm
>
>>I think the max size would be 800x600 pixels.  Not much point having
>>greater than 72dpi resolution.

Yep.  DPI settings for the Web (or any other rendering on a CRT or similar
device) is essentially meaningless.  What matters is the dimensionality, i.e.,
640 x 480, 800 x 600, etc.  You can safely ignore the DPI info in Photoshop if
you're outputting a GIF, JPEG or whatever to a file for display on the WWW.  It
only matters if you're sending the output to a typesetter or RIP device for
printing with real live ink.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/