[OM] Further to OM2n metering problem in auto mode

Subject: [OM] Further to OM2n metering problem in auto mode
From: Lyle Olsen <lo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 19:17:16 -0700
Wow. Thanks everyone with the several and all very helpful suggestions
on my auto metering problem with my OM2n.  I should have prefaced my
question by telling everyone I am really a newbie to the OM2n in
knowledge if not time. And therefore not that smart on this camera at
all, so yes comments like that of RB below are very much appreciated
believe me. As of course is the wise council on the probable fate of the
photodiodes and the internal workings, from others both public and
private. All begins to make sense, all the comments below seem to ring
quite true to me even from my limited pov and have added greatly to my
understanding of how she operates.  I am quite impressed with the real
camardie in this group from only having lurked a short time and now
this--thanks so much!  Wish I had discovered this list long ago.

I bought this 2n as part of a package deal a couple years ago from a HS
teacher near Salt Lake City, not on ebay but as a result of a usegroup
post way back when.  At first I didn't really understand the difference
between the 2n and the OM-G I had bought new in '84 or so and still
used/use happily, so I didn't pick up right away that the auto wasn't
working properly.  By the time I did, got busy etc (I know, pretty
dumb!), some time had gone by and the HS teacher was pretty busy himself
with end of year stuff or something and I never really pursued whether
he should have known and told me (ie on his dime it should fall). But I
felt it had to be pretty hard to claim since I wasn't too smart about it
either!  So I never asked him pay for it, but what happens on ebay?
Everything I guess depending on what is said/not said.  Well that's ok,
I suppose, really isn't it?   I don't really know but am about to find
out since I have been spending money there on simple OM stuff recently
and have quite a few items quite yet.....in shipment(!)  I'm such a babe
in the woods here.

On subsequent closer and examination largely in response to the helpful
comments posted from list members, I now need to revise my subjective
observations about shutter speed.  Whether I missed this first time out,
or it has begun to slowly change as I fool with it I don't know (is that
possible? it seems like it), but the shutter speed is indeed varying now
with light input. (!!!!)  Just not enough.  It fires noticably faster
pointed at a light bulb that it does with the lens covered (I swear it
didn't before), but the slowest shutter is about 1/15 never less,
comparing it to the sound of manual, with the fastest apparently 1/60 or
maybe 1/120 or even faster can't really tell.  So its kinda working
more than before would seem.  Would the wrong batteries do this? Nahhh,
not if they're 1.5 v, right?  I'm using the ones the local camera guy
said are the right ones.  Never heard of the reset idea, or the no film
idea before, but have tried to check out both without real resolution
yet.  Still, the thing is not totally dead, and that can only be
good....

Thanks again so much everyone for sharing your hardwon smarts with me,
much appreciated, sorry to be such a numbskull.  I tried cruising the
archives but found it not easy without a search engine I could figure
out.  I am certain there are a lot of gems in this archive for folks
like me if I could find the right "nugget shooter".

Cheers everyone

Lyle

lo@xxxxxxxx
tallgoodlooking on ebay
http://www.lylo.com

RB (in private reply) wrote:
You are probably aware of this, but the OM-2 will give you 1/60 sec.
shutter speed on auto if you forget to turn the Reset ring on the lens
to reset
the camera after you have opened the battery compartment. Perhaps this
is
the problem.

John Hermanson wrote
problem is most likely NOT the photodiodes.  They're not available
anyway and it's far from a do it yourselfer.

and  Tim Hughes wrote:
1) Yes the detectors are quite different on manual.
    But if the shutter speeds vary correctly when the shutter speed dial
is changed in manual this does indicate almost all the electronics for
Auto are working. (snip)
--
Lyle Olsen
http://www.lylo.com