[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1655

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1655
From: Norma Foltz <nfoltz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 23:05:12 -0700
Zuikes !

It's good to be reading about polarizers again !
    Hey Gary Schloss, too,  good to hear from you again.

Many moons ago we got on to the question of whether or not a polarizing filter
would help for
metallic
surfaces such as shiny chrome automobile bumpers and it was postulated that
while free valence
electrons of the metal were not contributing to polarization the Car Wax  might
be.  I wonder how
many coats of polish
it would take to get a 1/4 wave phase delay ?

    -- Ha !

Now the chap in Melbourne said he was swamped with suggestions so I don't know
if he'll read mine
but
I sometimes use my Olympus camera to snap a shot through the occular (eyepiece)
of a microscope.
Just focus the camera's lens to infinity and use the microscope to focus the
image.  It helps if
you mount
the camera on a tripod.  I have some photos that I took of some hummingbird
gorget feathers on my

web pages at http://flzhgn.home.mindspring.com/hek2.htm
The two photos are about half way through the page.

I've also made a few videos through a microscope's occular (eyepiece) and this
works quite well
with
small Sony - type handy cams like the TR series.  Just remember to turn off the
autofocus and zip
the
lens into its macro mode.

Let me know if you want more suggestions -- I'm familiar with all sorts of
light microscopy but
mostly
biological microscopy.

Hank Hogan