Re: [OM] OM Leather Fetish revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Leather Fetish revisited
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 14:15:57 -0700
Mike Butler and several others commented:

>Is it my monitor or is the Burgundy OM-1N a very deep red (almost black?).

... and Garth Wood added:

>Then it's my monitor (and more importantly, my video card) too: that's
>one Hell of a deep burgundy.  If it was a wine, I'd be in love (sadly,
>all such love is short-lived, but eminently worthwhile...  ;-)  ).

Well, it is a textured leatherette with combined burgundy color on the
raised parts of the texture, and black color -- mostly deaper in the
material, resulting in an overall rather dark red.  However, if my
picts appear mostly black on your monitors, the problem may be with
the size/resolution/rendering quality of your monitor and/or graphic
card.  At least the last two of the following 4 picts are quite close
to the actual colors, and hence should be quite visibly burgundy, albeit
a well aged one :-).  All should be viewed at 16-bit or 24-bit color
(pls set your monitors to Thousands or Millions of Colors).

>http://www.softcom.net/users/schloss/misc/om1nburg_lfrt.jpg
>http://www.softcom.net/users/schloss/misc/om1nburg_rfrt.jpg
>
>http://www.softcom.net/users/schloss/misc/om1nburg_bk.jpg
>http://www.softcom.net/users/schloss/misc/om1nburg_btm.jpg

Regarding the wine-related aspects of this OM-1N burgundy, the diligent
fellow that I am (and a curious one as well!), I wasted no time taking a
sip of this rarity.  I'm glad to report that the flavor is rich, full,
and lush, with deep tannins, lively acidity, and splendid, concentrated
fruit -- mostly that of dark plums, blackberry and black currant, which
must be responsible for this burgundy's stunningly dark red color.

However, the texture is leathery at best, the finish is brisk, dull,
and consistently metallic, and the aftertaste is bubbly and strangely
tingly -- synchronized at exactly 1/60 sec.  The faint frangances of
grease and barrel-fermented contact cement are decidedly unappealing.

Definitely an acquired taste, this OM-1N burgundy is best consumed in
complete solitude.  It is not to be shared with anyone! :-) :-)  Still,
I do expect it to age gracefully.  (With due apologies to my fellow wine
"nutcases". :-) :-) )

Ron Spolarich wrote:

>Unbelievable! Gary, you've made my evening! You certainly have a gift for
>the vernacular as well as the acumen for the material!  I anxiously await
>your next offering!  :-)
>BTW:  Am I that gullible or did they really make OM-1 in green leather?

Ron, thanks much!  Your compliments make me blush (but pls don't stop now
that you're on a roll!)  As to the "green monster", it was an OM-2N, and
I can assure you that it is authentic.

Steve Goss wrote:

>Looks almost black on my monitor too.  But it did look smoother than the
>normal leatherette.  Classy.  Something you might expect to see sitting
>next to an O product.  Nicely photographed too.

Steve is right: most of these color leatherettes have textures quite a
bit different from the black leather normally used on OM's.  I don't
know whether it was done intentionally or not.  The photography is with
Olympus D-600L (Camedia C-1400L) digital camera, except for the green
OM-2N.

Finally, Garry Lewis inquired:

>Point of information-
>Are there companies out there that would "customize" an OM camera if
>a person want to personalize their camera?

I'm sure there are, but it's probably not too difficult to do this as
a DIY project.  Morocco grain leather sheets (in black and brown) and
pebble grain leatherette (in black and grey) are available from Fargo
Enterprises, and more exotic types/colors can be purchased from custom
leather makers such as Tandy.  The cuts for OM-1/2 can be done based
on the sample available on John H.'s web site, or at:

http://www.softcom.net/users/schloss/misc/om_brown_leather.jpg

It sould be easy to make the necessary changes to fit other OM bodies.

However, the really dedicated OM leather fetishists who wish to impress
the rest of us with their stylish, "heavenly" OM bodies, will steal their
spouses' Gucci, Fendi, Louis Vouitton (sp?), etc. purses, "skin" them, and
then apply the cut-to-size designer patterns to their cameras.  Of course,
if the spousal unit objects to sacrificing her prized accessory, one can
scout the local thrift stores for a used one.

Oh, what whould I have given to photograph a bunch of Zuiks fighting over
a designer leather purse at a Goodwill or a Salvation Army store... :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA