Photgraphic process, was: RE: [OM] photographing polished metal- HELP!

Subject: Photgraphic process, was: RE: [OM] photographing polished metal- HELP!
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 17:36:15 -0500
> If we photographers are doing our jobs right, the photographic
> process should be invisible in the final picture.

I was quite amused when thumbing through an issue of 'Glamour' magazine
(hey, some of the pics in there give 'Playboy' magazine a run for the
money) when I looked carefully into the eye of a full page picture of a
model's face. I was trying to figure out how each photograph was lighted.
What did I see in the eye reflection? Why the unmistakeable image of the
photographer himself, silhouetted against a large white umbrella (I
presume). If you didn't look closely, nothing would seem amiss.

I got a little mileage out of it by passing it around and asking if anyone
could see the man in  the picture. No one did, until I pointed out the
silhouette, and  it always elicited an exclamation of 'Oh, how cool!' or
something like that.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx