Re: [OM] New T 45 battery?

Subject: Re: [OM] New T 45 battery?
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:49:50 +0200
On Thu, 25 May 2000 23:20:01 -0500, "Paul D. Farrar"
<farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>They haven't been available for years. Unfortunately both the charger and
>the flash have the old crude circuits which destroy NiCd batteries fairly
>quickly. I charge mine one stack at a time with a smart charger, the Maha
>MH-C777 (http://www.thomas-distributing.com/); and you need to stop using a
>pack when any stack falls to 4V. I have two packs, one with a single bad
>stack. I want to rebuild it sometime, maybe with NiMH. Don't throw away that
>bad pack! Save it for someone to rebuild. Amazingly, for a "pro" flash, no
>provision at all was made for using disposable batteries!
>
>You can use a high voltage pack, like a Quantum Turbo, Turbo-Z, or Lumedyne
>cycler and a Quantum CO3 cord.
>
>Paul

I have rebuilt several packs with NiMH cells (BTW the last time taken
from redundant new phone batteries, with the solder tabs already
present).
Capacity is at least double of what the original NiCads had (1200-1500
mAh vs. 500-700 mAh).
I use a smart charger of the phone type the batteries were intended
for to charge the battery, of course also one stack at a time like
Paul does.

I am presently planning to replace the old and indeed bad 5-fold
charging circuits of my original T-45 charger with one of the
dedicated and good quality phone charging circuits.

What I am still thinking about is an electronic rotary switch needed
to switch from one stack to the next after charging of the first is
completed. Maybe I will go the easy way and build a simple timing
device, with a 10 hour cycle giving 2 hours of charge to each stack,
repeated forever until I switch off (the circuits switch automatically
from normal charge to trickle charge when needed).
Even easier would be to use a manually operated switch - but I am
afraid the personal attention needed is too heavy a burden for me.
Has anyone attacked this problem already, and maybe solved it too?

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.