[OM] Portraits, wide-angles

Subject: [OM] Portraits, wide-angles
From: Alasdair Mackintosh <Alasdair.Mackintosh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:54:23 +0100
Thank you to everyone who was kind enought to comment on my TOPE1 entry.

Several people have mentioned that the picture does not look as though it was
taken with a 21mm lens. This is probably because I have cropped it slightly,
which in general has the same effect as increasing the focal length, and which
in this particular case removed some converging verticals that would otherwise
have shouted "wide-angle". Anyone interested can see the uncropped original at:

http://homepage.dtn.ntl.com/vanda/alasdair/images/SelfPortrait1.jpg

In general, wide-angles can make for some very effective portraits. A recent
issue of Amateur Photographer (dated 13th May) contains some very effective
portraits by Roger Bamber (a photojournalist who works for the Uk Guardian).
These were mostly taken on location in Brighton, and make use of 18mm and 20-35
zooms. Worth looking out.

May I also offer an alternative self-portrait at:

http://homepage.dtn.ntl.com/vanda/alasdair/images/SelfPortrait.jpg

This is an attempt to respond to some of the extremely clever ideas that were
shown by some of the other TOPE1 entries, which played around with the concept
of exactly what a self-portrait can mean. My own attempt is:

  A self-portrait photographed with Olympus equipment

and:

  A self-portrait photographed with Olympus equipment

If the machine I used for the passport photo had been made by Olympus I could
have made this claim a third time, but I don't think this was the case. Note
that you need more than one OM to be able to make the double claim. Isn't
English wonderful?

("But darling, I need that second body so that I can indulge in silly word-play
on the mailing list.")

Alasdair

P.S. For an example of the resolution of the 35/f2 that I used for the main
shot, see:
http://homepage.dtn.ntl.com/vanda/alasdair/images/SelfPortrait2Detail.jpg

This was scanned at 2400dpi on a Minolta Scan-Dual, with the original being
taken on ISO100 Fujicolor Superia.