[OM] Fiendish Thingee

Subject: [OM] Fiendish Thingee
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:12:05 -0400
I stopped by a photo shop in another town that I'd previously written off
as being too expensive. Ostensibly I was in search of B&W paper, and much
to my surprise they had what appeared to be bargain prices on Mitsubishi
paper. But the real find came when I bemoaned to the salesman that they
seldom if ever had much Olympus stuff in the used case. He said that he
used to shoot OM stuff exclusively, but had gotten out of it when his gear
got stolen. The only piece he had left was a *fiendish thingee* that wasn't
in the display case. He asked if I wanted a *fiendish thingee*.

Frankly, I would've thought the answer to be an easy NO! Somehow I've
variously viewed such contraptions as either cheating, or maybe even
outright abominations. I mean if I'd wanted such gizmos and gadgets, I'd
have bought into one of the wonderbrick systems instead of the svelte and
lovely little OM's that I like.

Anyway, I got the OM-4 out of the car and affixed the *fiendish thingee* to
it and was immediately taken by it even though it added a great deal of
weight and bulk. When the salesguy said he'd take $50, I countered with
$40, and he barely even grumbled before accepting. Out the door I went with
a *fiendish thingee* in exc+ condition, and some bargain basement paper in
2 sizes.

When I got home I showed the *fiendish thingee* to my companion and quite
contrary to more typical reactions to my "finds" she said, "OOoooooo! I
like it!", when I showed her what it did.

To be honest, I'd never priced *fiendish thingees* and while I was pretty
sure I'd done at least OK, I needed to check with Keh.com to be sure. Man,
now I'm sure! I guess $40US for an OM Winder 2 is a pretty good deal. :-)
(Kinda almost makes up for all the stuff I've overpaid for.) The whirring
and clicking sounds are addictive, and I guess I'm going to have to start
budgeting more $$ for film and paper. ;-)

Mike Swaim