Re: [OM] Airshow2000 NAS Ft. Worth shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Airshow2000 NAS Ft. Worth shots
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 23:34:09 -0500
Gary Edwards wrote:
>Well, my AT&T coax dried out long enough for me to connect and upload the
>shots from the airshow.  All shot with OM bodies and some with Zuikos, thus
>OM content <g>:

I've photographed many of those same airplanes and acts a number of times
back in Muskegon Michigan (Muskegon Air Fair).  I've met and had the option
to ride with Schockly in his three-jet engined Peterbuilt tractor.  I opted
to ride with Team America instead.  Gotta love media passes.

Oh, to pass a "behind the scenes" factoid to you, in the drag race between
his Peterbuilt and the flying airplane, it is setup so he ALWAYS wins.
That's part of the contract.  One time I saw a plane win the race and I
heard him go ballistic on the radio (I carry my scanner with me to
airshows).  That truck has a 110 gallon tank of kerosene which is almost
completely used up on a single run.  He augemented with an additional tank
when he melts down the cars.  All of the engine controls in that truck are
very scary to the technoweenies.  Nothing is automated, everything is
linkage.  However, ever the drag racer, he knew how to simplify the
important stuff.  One lever shuts down the engines, cuts off the fuel and
fires the chutes.  It is in the most easily grabbed position no matter how
many G's are knocking you around.  Tires?  Shaved truck tires.  I didn't
think they would spin that fast without ripping apart.  But he has only had
a tire shred once before I talked with him.  Like a modern day race car,
the only thing "truck" on that truck is the shell of the body.

Another interesting factoid regarding Schockly:  He is one of the most
expensive "acts" on the airshow circuit.  Most airshows can figure a 15-25%
increase in attendance because of that truck.

Ken Norton