[OM] some clues to the golden OM-1

Subject: [OM] some clues to the golden OM-1
From: "Frank Wijsmuller of Milou van der Bel" <Wijsmuller.VanderBel@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 21:43:54 +0200
First, Henny Hoogeveen is a shop in a small city in Holland, Noordwijk aan
Zee. He lists this camera and lens for about $ 3.300 in the Dutch
Shutterbug. Actually, it's a bargain since he sells many Leica special M6's
which outprice this OM-1 (the most expensive M6 with 35/1.4 is $ 13.750 (yes
that's a 5 digit number)).

I don't have all the info, but spoke about it once with Jaap Korten, and
I'll try to reproduce his answers:

These golden OM-1's with matching lenses (the chrome ring is plated too)
were the prices in a contest held in a popular magazine in the Netherlands,
must be more then 20 years ago. I think about 10 were made. They also
celebrated some milestone at the Olympus importer, if I'm not mistaken. It
was a Dutch only model, that's for sure. There was a number 1 price, that
OM-1 was coupled with a special 50/1.4 lens.

I think Jaap has one too.

Greetings, Frank Wijsmuller.

PS   I'm not going to buy it since I would feel the need of gold plating all
the chrome rings of my other Zuiko's to match this one, but then I should
gold plate my other chrome camera's, what should I do about the black ones,
well never mind... ;-).