[OM] Winsonsin Geology

Subject: [OM] Winsonsin Geology
From: Tarka69@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 11:44:17 EDT
Hi all,
This past weekend I went on a Universtity-sponsored trip for my geology class
to  a little town called Baraboo, Wisconsin.  We satyed for 3 days, hiking
around and looking at the geologic structures created by continental
collisions from millions and billions of years ago.  The main structure,
known as the Baraboo Sincline, is a huge peice of red/purple/grey quartzite
thousands of feet thick and miles wide that is bent under ground so that it
sticks up as 2 mountain ranges with a vast valley between.
Anyway, due to the academic nature of the trip, and partly my own laziness, I
decided to leave my OM system behind...  And I kicked myself for the next 2
days!  We hiked through gorges lined with giant walls of rock amid lush
vegetation.  If you used your imagination, you could see where these
structures had once been coastal cliffs on the shore of a prehistoric ocean.
You could imagine huge waves crashing against them, sending boulders down
into the water, creating purple sand- all of which is preserved after
millions of years. And some of the views into the valleys, (not to mention
into "Devil's Lake) were breathtaking.  I NEED to go back with my camera!  It
seems crazy, but I even envied the poor fools carrying grocery store
disposable cameras- at least they will have something, even if it is over
exposed and out of focus.

So for anyone in the northern midest of the U.S. looking for a place to shoot
nature, I highly recomment spending a few days in Baraboo, Wisconsin.  It may
be a boring little town stuck in a cultural time warp, but the scenery is
amazing.

Kicking myself,
Evan