[OM] fungus on slides - E6 vs kodachrome [longish]

Subject: [OM] fungus on slides - E6 vs kodachrome [longish]
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 23:41:39 +1000
     KR = Kodachrome 64
         KM = Kodachrome 25
         RVP = Velvia

> faster, not slower!) and suffer the processing and too-natural colours?

I agree KM is too slow when the wind springs up, but it is also supposed
to have less contrast, so I will be trying it. But for now I prefer
the Ektachromes.

Since you like RVP, I think you should stick with that and try to
solve the storage problems. Tastes in colour are subjective, and
so what if KR stores better if you can't stand the colours?

> [KR's] flat, washed out rendition of the colours of the Australian bush

There is no "the" Australian bush (unless you are defining it to
be the Sydney sandstone region), but I know what you mean. While
I prefer KR to RVP for coastal heathland, fern gullies, seascapes
and snowscapes, it does have some problems for the drier areas
like the Mallee.

You can cut down on the blue "distance haze" with a polarizer,
because it is a polarized reflection from gum leaves.

Some polarizers have a pink cast which is disastrous with KR.
Hoya seem to be OK. Flare from the polarizer surface with
a bad one can turn grey to pink.