[OM] digital vs. film

Subject: [OM] digital vs. film
From: Andrew Scott Beals <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:47:03 -0700
I've been moving away from our IS-10 to digital, but that accellerated
recently with my getting my hands on a decent scrapbook making program.
Shoot gobs of pics, copy them off to my server, run the program, go back
and fill in captions.  Easy, fast and permanent once backed up.

My objective is a nice collection of annotated family snapshots to leave
for my nephews, niece and daughter.

In that vein, while I've been happy with the quality of snaps I've
gotten from my D620L, it does have its shortcomings.  Better resolution
would be great, as would illumination for helping low-light focus.  Both
of these are corrected by the C2500, but with the C3030 coming out,
there must be a 3Mpixel SLR on its way as well.

So, my question: Has anyone heard a rumored date of my theorized 3Mpixel
digi SLR?

In addition, my wife and I collectively have a lifetime's worth of
chromes and negs, chiefly 35mm.  Any suggestions on a scanner+software
combination for making a snapshot-quality [willing to deal with jpeg
compression artifacts] archive as painlessly as possible?  Bonus points
for auto-feed and mega bonus points for decent media handling.    I
tried the HP photo"smart" thingy but it naughtily skewed my negatives.
Given the sheer volume of what I want to image and the cost of PhotoCD
even in 1000s quantity, buying a scanner becomes "cheap".  Any
recommendations?

thanks in advance

    Andy Beals
    possible future pen collector