Re: [OM] Depth of field questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Depth of field questions
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:19:31 -0700
Frieder writes:

<< Interessting, Gary, but which 1.4/50 did you use for your hand held
shots? The one with the 'A-' (MC) or the one with the 'C' (SC) results ?
:) >>

A 50mm f/1.4 >1M# multicoated, but not one that appears in the test
results. It produced more or less B grades both handheld and on a tripod
with mirror and diphragm prefire.

<< Concerning your test`s I found the differences between the
shooting-modes more interessting then the differences between the
lenses. this is very obvios at the test of the 4/200 which performed
between very good and rather soft, depending on how the mirror was
locked up or not.... That lead me to the assumption, that your A and B
rating`s are very hard, and I guessed that they would not be achieveable
with hand-held shooting at all. - -But what now? - Could you test the
4/200-MC in hand-held mode? >>

You make an astute interpretation of the data, Frieder. It is logical to
try handholding my 200 f/4 MC lens and seeing what happens. I'll be
doing that in the near future.  But I won't go beyond that. Meanwhile I
have a stable full of Canon FD lenses that I just shot, plus a few
premium quality point and shoots/fixed focal length lens cameras.  I'll
also have for comparisons two of Nikon's finest manual focus lenses: the
85mm f/1.4 AIS and the 55mm f/2.8 AIS, both with Photodo.com Grades of
4.4

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV