Re: [OM] [OT] was (Fwd) Question about manual Olympus Options

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] was (Fwd) Question about manual Olympus Options
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <o9938156@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 22:27:59 -0700
>Yea, I forgot about the calculators.  I had a Bowmar Brain bought in 1973
>that was banned from my Algegra class.  And I know that the first Hewlett
>Packard scientific calculators was introduced a couple of years prior to
>that.  So 1970 seems like a good bet for the commercial introduction
>time-frame.
>
>Skip

Getting pretty OT, but the first HP calculator to use LED's came out in
1971.  The first HP calculator that Algebra teachers probably had to
worry about banning was the HP-35 in 1972.  I've got a 35 with a manual
from 1973, and the manual is the best thing about it!

"                        SHIRT POCKET POWER
Our object in developing the HP-35 was to give you a high precision
portable electronic slide rule.  We thought you'd like to have something
only fictional heroes like James Bond, Walter Mitty or Dick Tracy are
supposed to own."

Mark Marr-Lyon