Re: [OM] Other ultra-wides?

Subject: Re: [OM] Other ultra-wides?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 08:38:47 -0600
At 08:55 AM 5/9/00 -0400, Skip Williams wrote:

[snip]

>(Do I dare say this?)  IMHO, the 21/2 is overrated.  Yea, yea, it's the fasted
>21mm available, bar none.  But most 21's are used at 5.6 and below, where
>there is little difference between the two lenses.  It's also expensive.  The
>21/2 has the floating element for improved close-up performance, but I don't
>have any practical experience in that area, maybe someone else does.

The reason I prefer the 21/2.0 is simple: the viewfinder image is considerably
brighter, and my eyes have always preferred trying to focus in bright light.
If I could get a 21/0.001, I would.

Of course, the damn thing would be bigger than my car, and when I took the
front lens cap off, all the photons in the vicinity would get sucked in to its
event horizon...  "It's a miracle!  I CAN SEE!"  "No, Garth just put the lens
cap back on."  ;-)

Garth