Re: [OM] Slide Film for U.P. waterfall shooting

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide Film for U.P. waterfall shooting
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 21:50:22 -0500
Charles wrote:
>I am taking an extended weekend soon, and am planning to photograph some
>of the waterfalls in the upper peninsula of Michigan.  I was curious
>what all of you thought would be the best slide film for the job.  I'd
>like something that will give me natural colors, nothing to saturated.
>I havent used slide film very much and would like some recommendations.
>Any additional info would be great!  What's your favorite, and why?

I have found that the UP (Upper Peninsula) waterfalls are so much fun to
photograph.  I've busted the bank more than once photographing them--in all
seasons.  Winter is real fun!  Tahquamenon falls is awesome when half
frozen.  (just make sure your camera is loaded with film--doh!)  But as you
probably already know, the main collection of falls is in the western end.
Sole exception worth the trip is Bridal Veil falls--absolutely beautiful.
(not during drought, though--drip, drip, drip...).

Film choices?  Well, I'm a Fuji nut, but would probably recommend
Kodachrome 64 for tonal range, but the Fujis for color.  Huh?  You said
nothing too saturated--why am I recommending Fuji?  The color of tree bark,
branches, brush and rocks tend towards the gray instead of more normal
brownish shades.  The gray colored wood is brought out more in flatter
films (such as Ektachrome) causing the pictures to dull out on you.
Velvia, for example, will pull out any shade of brown in the wood giving a
much warmer picture.  Color saturation isn't much of an issue around the UP
waterfalls as you have only two types of light that you will be dealing
with:  Midday overhead sun or full shadow.  Midday sun will flatten
everything anyway (don't forget that most UP waterfalls flow
South-to-North) so you will be seeking every bit of saturation you can find
since you are shooting into the sun.  The full shadow happens with most of
the falls anytime outside of the 10am-2pm window.  If there is a blast of
sunshine anywhere, it typically must be cropped out otherwise it blows your
exposure range to bits.  The bluish full-shadow lighting works in cohoots
with the gray wood to make the pictures rather unsightly and stand out.  I
have files full of UP pictures taken with all types of slide film and
without exception the Ektachromes were blue-gray and lifeless.

I wouldn't recommend Velvia to the casual slide shooter as the resin on the
leaves (at TQ lower falls-especially) will drive the greens into
turbocharge mode if you aren't extremely careful with your exposure.  Most
UP trees have this resin coating which really drives up the saturation
unless you are shooting late in the season when it has lost its gloss.
Fall colors (last week in September) is Velvia/Provia time--all others need
not apply.

Provia 100F would be my #1 choice of film as it brings out the browns
really well without blasting the greens (see above note) into outerspace.
Seeing how Astia/Sensia II handles grays, It wouldn't be my first choice in
the UP or anywhere else in northern Michigan because of the bark color and
shots actually taken there with Sensia II confirms this.

Kodachrome 64 is a really fine choice in every way except two things:
highlight control (washout city), and gray bark.  However the gray bark in
Kodachrome seems to darken slightly which keeps it from washing out the
pictures like Ektachrome does.  Even though the gray stays neutral, it does
darken maybe a 1/3 stop compared to Ektachrome/Sensia II.

Again, your specific issues regarding spring/summer UP waterfalls shots
are:  flat lighting, resin coated leaves, and gray rocks and gray tree
bark/branches/brush.  Oh, did I mention flies?  Big suckers that can carry
small pets and children off?

We are planning our vacation this year at the end of September in the UP.
Yup, were doing the waterfalls and I'm already planning on plenty of Fuji
film.  Now I just need a job to take a vacation from....

Ken Norton