Re: [OM] Depth of field questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Depth of field questions
From: "C.H.Ling" <pling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 14:26:08 +0800
I think no one can make sure the DOF (min. 30 lp/mm resolution in 35mm
camera) can cover the subject by looking at the viewfinder. For me,
the DOF button is for pre-view the result of the shoot, mainly for
checking the out-of-focus effect. Sometimes when you stop down too
much the out-fo background can be very distracting.

DOF should not related to the size of your output. Frieder explained
very well, you should keep a suitable viewing distance for the size of
prints.

The DOF scale marked on the lens works very well for me except macros
which I normally stop down to f16 for flash work or minimum
aperture/shutter combination which I can hand hold.

Talking about 90/2, which is a lens that can nicely balance between
distance object and 1:2 but it does not really perform very well at
macro mode, with my own experience and the result from Modern
photography, it is only a so so lens for macro works. For serious
macro, you should try 50/3.5 or 80/4.

C.H.Ling