Re: [OM] 35-70/3.5-4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70/3.5-4.5
From: "John W. Sloane, DMD" <jsloane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 21:03:50 -0400
Hi, Gary and Gang!

Believe me, I don's dismiss eBay in any way, for it is on eBay that I have
aquired most of my present OM collection, and I must say I have NEVER been
sorry after making a winning bid.  My intention was not to criticise eBayers
(of whom I am a MOST active buyer/seller), but merely to share with the
group what I thought was a great price for a popular lens in outstanding
condition.  I have also made numerous buys on eBay about which I can say the
same.  I agree that eBay is in the forefront of setting the pace for prices
of equipment in our market.  I found your statement interresting that eBay
also seems to be instrumental in driving prices DOWN in the used retail
venue.  Ebay is, of course (in the case of OM equipment, especially) a
sellers market in that buyers are competing rather than the sellers trying
to outdo one another for the retail dollar.  This is just the high school
economics law of supply and demand at work.  We now have, thanks to eBay and
the Internet, and news groups, and this list, a larger volume  and selection
of OM equipment to choose from than we have had in years, and maybe ever.
Supply is up, prices are going down.  Retailers must follow.  Not saying
it's really fair to all, but it's fact. Personally, I don't mind spending
pretty much whatever it takes to get something I really want, though, so
when I bid, I bid aggressively and I bid to win.  (Ya out there, Tom?:)  .
I also do retail used, and last month I got a MINT OM-4 for $400.00 without
bargaining in my local camera shop...also something that I know would have
been impossible a couple of years ago.  It would have probably gone for over
$500.00.  I don't know... maybe that WAS too much to pay, but I thought it
was a good buy.  Anyway, what I am trying to say is that the market has
become a very dynamic place, and it is exciting and fun to be a part of it.
I sincerely appologise to anyone I may have slighted with my eBay comment,
but it was totally un-intentional, I assure you!

John W. Sloane, DMD (eBay Seller/Buyer Extrordinaire!)
Daytona Beach, FL