Re: [OM] Lens storage.....

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens storage.....
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 10:32:03 -0400
This doesn't really address Thomas' question, but it reminded me of a lens
storage tip I want to pass along.

Some time ago I bought a very expensive wide angle lens for my medium format
outfit and, weeks later, discovered that a ragged patch of coating was
missing from the front element.

In the meantime, the previous owner had moved to parts unknown, so I was
unable to return the damaged lens.  I had to have it recoated...an expensive
and time-consuming process.

It turns out...as I learned sometime later after the former lens owner and I
re-established contact...that the lens had been stored for awhile without
its lens cap face down in a foam-lined Halliburton case.   As John Hermanson
can tell you, foam and optical coatings are not good companions.  Beware!

Craig Roberts
Boston