[OM] scanning slides on flatbed!

Subject: [OM] scanning slides on flatbed!
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 20:50:49 -0700 (PDT)
I don't recall where from, but I had picked up a URL to a
"backlighter" for scanning slides on a flatbed (one w/o a tranny
adaptor). Well, I tried it, and it works pretty darn well.

Here's the little doohickey:

http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com/essays/scanning/Backlighter.html

Here are my images ("dust" problem with my cutting and stuff):
http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/flower.jpg [1]
http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/citrus.jpg [2]
http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/commons.jpg [3]

No color/brightness corrections made, just upped the exposure on the
scanner. Original slides (Provia F) are very nice, but obviously don't
show up in the scan :)

[1] 200/4SC handheld wide open and 1/60sec, afternoon, UCR
[2] ibid, on tripod, f/8(?) and similar shutter, half hour prior sunset
        (looking east) in Redlands (too "day-ish for TOPE2)
[3]28/3.5SC, f/8 and two seconds. Slide had lots more detail, completely
        lost in scan. PhotoCD scan to be had later.

I guess comments are welcome, but these were done simply to show that
those of you w/ flatbeds can get decent scans for emailing family and the
like. Oh, my BackLighter was made from a Cream White matt mount board.

/Acer V
--
Windows 9x: <win-doze-nein-ex> n.
32  bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit