Subject: [OM] Pictures from a Cessna

Subject: Subject: [OM] Pictures from a Cessna
From: Mike Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 06:36:44 -0700
Ron Wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for taking pictures from a Cessna?
Any tricks, tips, suggestions or warnings on exposure, shutter speed,
film,  etc.?  I plan to take my OM2n and several lenses.  It is going
to be a new adventure for me.  Maybe you can help me avoid some real
basic common errors.

Ron

Ron
        I had the opportunity to do just that a few month ago.  My brother was
the pilot and his advice rings true.  "Take lots of pictures while your
up here, right now film is cheaper than the gas"  I took three rolls on
two twenty minute flights and still had shots I wish I had taken.
Having a cooperative pilot is also nice in case you want to go back for
shot at a different angle.

I would like to hear from others about the recommended shutter speed.  I
can understand not wanting to "stop" the propeller, but the vibration in
your average small airplane makes me think higher shutter speeds would
be necessary, especially with longer lenses.

        Some of what I was trying to do was Air to Air with a second aircraft.
This requires two pilots comfortable flying in close formation and lots
of ship to ship communication.  Even with my 300 f4.5 most of my shots
were pictures with an airplane in it, instead of a picture of an
airplane.

        Enjoy your flight,

Mike Butler
Dublin, California