[OM] Hot Flashes and Xcuses

Subject: [OM] Hot Flashes and Xcuses
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:35:38 -0500
Well, I'm back from our little adventure to Des Moines to our church's
district conference that I had the priveledge of photographing.  I covered
three days and evenings of conference type of activities and evening
"church services" that included an ordination service.  Photographically,
sort of a cross between a graduation and a wedding.  The facility is a 1500
seat church with large balcony in a fan-shaped layout.  From balcony edge
to stage was aproximately 50 feet.  Although I was given complete freedom
of movement, I tried to keep my profile as low as possible, especially
since it was also being videotaped.

For the first two days my hammer of choice was my OM-2S with the Tokina
35-70/2.8 and the Zuiko 100/2.8.  Using my vivitar flash (zoom head, OTF
control) I managed to comfortably eake out about 65 feet on the Portra
160VC using F4.  Unfortunately, the vivitar isn't designed like the
expensive new stuff that can fire off two full power flashes quickly.  The
poor Nicads were getting pretty toasty trying to keep pace.

Wednesday night, being the BIG night, required a full-blown planned attack.
 I used the OM-1 on tripod with the 24/2.8 for room shots (and later used
the 24 for close in people shots in the crowds--standard PJ stuff).  Before
the hotshoe.  I used the IS-3/G40 for the ceremony since I needed the
autofocus and zoom lens.  I had it and the OM-2S (with winder and flash)
around my neck and I was down right in front of the stage.  The OM-2S, had
the 35-70 zoom set at the 35mm setting and zoned focused whereas the IS-3
was running between 75-150mm.

For those wondering if it is sacriligious to prefer the IS-3 over an OM
needs to be reminded that the IS-3/G40 combo is probably one of the best
autofocus cameras made and the autofocus speed is nothing but astonishing.
The flash power is determined mostly by the distance info from the focus
circuit but it also takes into account ambient lighting too (ESP mode).  I
just hate the noise from the motorized zoom.  Nothing worse than
"whir-whee" during a solemn moment.

Next year, I'd like to have a several studio strobes hanging from the stage
lighting rigging in the ceiling (cat walk accessable) triggered by radio
release. I liked the look of the stage lighting and would have preferred to
not use flash except for fill/eye sparkle.

Shot a ton of film and regretted the decision to use Portra 160VC instead
of Portra 400VC.  I could have gone handheld with the ambient light had I
done so.  Oh, well.

Oh, I had placed a freshly charged set of Nickle Hydride batteries in the
G40 and was very impressed with their performance!  Flash recharge time
from a 100 0.000000lash averaged under five seconds for a couple rolls of film.
Never did slow down and I don't know how many shots to expect.  When I was
done shooting I put them back in the Nikon digital camera I stole them out
of.  The recycle time was so short that I suspect the situation is that
they have the current capability of nicads with the extra voltage of
alkalines.

Ken Norton
Image66