[OM] Cheap OM stuff

Subject: [OM] Cheap OM stuff
From: "Robin Allen" <robin_m_allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:28:25 EEST
Dear All

There are currently some very cheap accessories at an Olympus service centre in Finland. They had a large number of flash extenders and cold weather battery holders for the OM2N (bigger battery cover than 2SP,3,4). They also had a whole box of OM filters that were perhaps 35 mm across. I dont know what they fit but the box design was white and blue rather than the black and gold of the OM SLR system. Everything was new and in the orignal boxes. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I bought one of each at a giveaway price and the technician gave me an extender free because I had some stuff cleaned. They might mail them overseas, if you made it worth their while. It would be nice if nobody bought them all (you know who you are!) and resold them but people just bought what they needed.

They're at:
http://www.finlandiakuva.fi

On a heavier note:
I have an OM2SP whose shutter speed dial had completely seized up, but after cleaning it now glides round nicely (new grease) but with a definite stop at each speed. Apparently water had go into it and caused corrosion. I also had a 50/1.4 and a 21/3.5 cleaned. I had bought them off ebay and to my disgust found the 50 full of fungus and the 21 with fungus on the inside of the rear element. The technician said the fungus had eaten into the coating irreparably. I asked the seller whether there was fungus during the auction but they said they couldnt see any. I'm currently considering what feedback to give but in financial terms at I didnt lose out much on the package as a whole and at least I now have a 21/3.5, which I have never seen used in Finland.

Questions:
1) Will the coating damage affect sharpness and how is this best tested?
2) Will the damage make flare more likely?
3) Is flare expected for a shot with the sun in the frame for the 21/3.5)?
4) Will a hood for the 21/3.5 improve the contrast or decrease the likelihood of flare enough for me to get one?
5) To what extent should I try to keep rain off an OM2SP and an OM4Ti?
Does it get into the shutter speed mechanism if drops fall around the shutter speed ring? I took a series of pics in torrential rain under a brolley last spring with my OM2SP and kept wiping the water splashes off the body with tissues but wondered whether that would have caused the corrosion problem or whether the previous (rough) owner had dipped it in the sea.

BTW, I really appreciate all the time and effort that people put into this list. I get a great deal more out of my existing equipment and, most importantly, I now take more consistently interesting pictures than before discovering it.

-Thanks.