[OM] OM2n / OM2s?

Subject: [OM] OM2n / OM2s?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
Wayne wrote:

Have had two OM2n's since they were new. Have always wondered what is
the difference between the OM2n and the OM2s. I must have asked a dozen
photo store clerks over the years and have gotten that many "not sure,
but, I think..." replies.

Wayne,

I expect you're going to get a dozen replies to this question from list
members - who definitely know more than your average camera store
clerk! Since I've owned both models, here's my two 2 cents worth.

The OM-2S is said to be more like the OM-4 internally than the OM-2N.
However, it seems reasonable to compare 2N with 2S since Olympus
decided to put them both in the same model range (OM-2x). The main
differences of which I am aware are:

- 2S has Program mode: camera selects both shutter and aperture,
  useful for P&S and candid shots as the manual says (but never
  admit to using program mode because it's not fashionable ;-).
  Program mode uses TTL OTF metering, as does aperture priority
  automatic mode, which the 2S also has; the 2N only has
  aperture priority auto mode and manual mode, with no program.

- 2S has Spot metering in manual mode, which works well (and is
  fashionable!) but doesn't include the multi-spot facility of the
  OM-4. There is no centre-weighted metering alternative in manual mode
  (but, if you think about it, there doesn't really need to be).

- Silicon blue cells are used in the 2S for all light measurement,
  both OTF light measurement during the shot (program and auto modes)
  and for the meter indication before the shot (all modes). In the 2N,
  light measuement for the meter uses a separate CdS cell that reads
  light from the focussing screen. This is a slower device and could,
  at least in theory, give less accurate results. Also, changing the
  type of focussing screen used can affect light meter calibration
  in the 2N but has no such effect in the 2S.

- Mirror locks up in advance when using the electronic self timer in
  the 2S. The 2N has no facility for mirror lock-up, which could be
  a problem, for instance, in very precise macro work.

- The hot shoe is a fixed, built-in item on the 2S; with the 2N it is
  detachable and vulnerable to damage.

- Some controls are smoother and more pleasant to operate on the
  2N, such as the film advance (which is higher geared on the 2S,
  with correspondingly shorter lever throw and stiffer operation,
  don't know why) and the shutter speed ring (narrower and grittier on
  the 2S - again, no idea why).

- The self-timer on the 2N is a mechanical clockwork device that
  is separately activated from the normal shutter release and allows
  more or less delay time to be selected, depending on how far the
  lever is rotated. On the 2S, it is a fixed 12 sec. duration
  electronic delay that uses the normal shutter release button to
  activate it. The worst feature of the 2S's self timer is that
  it's so easy to forget to cancel it (I've done this so many times,
  it's not funny!)

- The 2N electronics are simpler and less crowded than the 2S, which
  makes the 2N easier to overhaul/repair. Circuit boards for the
  2S are unavailable now, too, so while the electronics in the
  2N are still fixable, those in the the 2S are not.

- The 2N is economical on batteries, while the 2S is definitely NOT.
  This is probably the most complained-about feature of the 2S
  and is not something that can be overcome, although it can be
  helped by a component change that uses the flash's batteries instead
  of the camera's batteries for the viewfinder flash ready LED. It
  makes it all the more imperative to use silver oxide cells in the
  2S, although they should also be used in the 2N, to avoid
  deterioration of exposure accuracy as the cells are used up.

- The viewfinder in the 2N is brighter than in the 2S (because of the
  2S's semi-silvered mirror). There are brighter OM 2-series or
  Beattie screens that improve the 2S without affecting the light
  metering calibration.

- The 2N can be used at 5 frames per second with a Motor Drive
  but the 2S only manages 3.5 fps. This is a limitation imposed by
  the 2S's program mode. With Winder 2 there is no difference.

- The 2N can use linear polarizing filters but the 2S requires
  circular polarizers, to prevent inaccurate light meter indications
  due to its semi-silvered mirror.

- The 2N could be had in chrome or black; the 2S was black only.

Both are well made, small but sturdy cameras. In my experience they
produce good results but I have actually found the 2S to give more
precise exposures. I never have any doubts about its accuracy whereas I
was occasionally disappointed with results from the 2N. However, that
could have been because the 2N didn't have spot metering and I might
have misjudged a few exposures because of that.

Hope these notes help you.

Regards,

Ray