[OM] 28/2 front element

Subject: [OM] 28/2 front element
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 01:00:16 PDT
Hi guys,

Yesterday I noticed that the damage on the front element of the recently acquired 28/2 is most likely not limited to the coating. At first I couldn't really detect any scratches on the front element when looking through the lens from the back, but that's maybe because the lens is too close to your eye then to properly focus on the front element itself (?). When mounting the lens on a camera, and looking through the viewfinder, similar results occur. However, when moving the camera some 10-20 CM away from your face, you can more easily look at the front element itself, and then I did notice that the front element appears to be heavily scratched (unless coating damage also becomes visible this way, but I don't think so). So my initial suspicion was right, and I now know for a fact that I _do_ need to replace the whole front element (which is what I was counting on anyway).

It really looks like the front element has been "cleaned" by the previous owner in an over-zealous way, maybe even by using grinding paper or so...;) Of course it pains me to see the front element in this shape, but OTOH I thank him dearly for having done this, as the repair should be cheap, and after that I'm probably looking at a 9+ 28/2 which will then have cost me some $100!

Also, so far I've not received any answers regarding the hood for this particular lens. Is it the same as the one for the 28/2 and the 28/3.5, or do you guys use a different one?

Finally:
Bribery... Black-mail... Extortion...
Maybe I shouldn't list my finds anymore ;)))
Seriously: thanks for the comments guys, I most definitely do intend to enjoy using the new gear to the fullest. This morning when cycling to work I was thinking about all the gear I have and I came to the conclusion that the buying part of the Zuikoholism should hopefully be over within a year or so. The stuff I'd still take an interest in will probably be limited to: -Bellows macro lenses (now that I have a bellows, I'd like to get some of the special lenses to go with it, of course). -Some of the ultra wides, I'm thinking of somthing like the 16/3.5, 18/3.5, 21/2 or a combination of any of those.
-A 50/1.2 maybe.
-Maybe someday the 24/3.5 Shift (hmmm, does anyone have one of those with some coating damage ? ;))) ). -Maybe one or two more super teles. Especially the 500/8 and the 600/6.5 sound interesting.
-Some more T flash gear, not a whole lot more is needed though.

So, there's still plenty of expen$$$ive stuff to be _desired_, but even if I don't find any of this stuff I wouldn't worry too much, as my current gear is sufficient for (almost ?) all of the types of photography I'm currently pursuing. All these additional fancy things can wait (at least until I find them in a steal-deal).

Cheers!
Olafo