Re: [OM] Advice on Wide Angle Zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on Wide Angle Zoom
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:44:35 -0500
At 09:37 AM 4/19/2000 -0400, Chris you wrote:
>I'm looking for a wide-angle zoom to help fill out my range
>of lenses. I've already got a 28/2.8 prime, although it is not
>a Zuiko. (Cross myself in a "Z" pattern and mumble the
>Zuikoholic's prayer) Having that, I'd like to get a zoom that
>has a wide end of like 18 or 20, and ends at like 35 or 40.
>I'd also like to stick with a 2.0 or 2.8 aperture. Unfortunately,
>this seems to rule out a Zuiko. (Cross myself in a "Z" pattern
>and mumble the Zuikoholic's prayer) I had seen a Tokina
>24-40/2.8 AT-X lens that looked nice.

Chris,

I have a Sigma 21-35/3.5-4.? which partially fits your prescription. I'm
not sure why you're stuck on 2.8 speed in such a wide angle lens, but it's
not quite there in this lens.

Center sharpness with the Sigma compares well to Zuiko primes 24 and 28,
but corners are softer. Very good MC coating and contrast.

This lens is no longer made, but they turn up now and then.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA