[OM] foam kits -Reply

Subject: [OM] foam kits -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:29:33 -0400
I've done this foam replacement on at least 4 bodies. My wife has stopped
asking, "What are you doing to that camera, surgery?!" It should take about an
hour to do a good job. Seems like every O.M.-PC I've had has light leaked, but
there's also a foam around the little window you need for those. You MUST
completely remove the old foam. I do the mechanical removal with shaved down
toothpicks, Q-tip stalks and blunted dental instruments. I then clean up the
residue with  a citrus-based goo remover. Then it's a light coating of rubber
cement and in with the new. I've never messed with the mirror box foam, however,
I would consider that a pro job. Before you go through this, you might want to
try switching backs, if there's some kind of deformation on the back that could
also cause the light leak. And we KNOW you have plenty of backs you could switch
:-)

>>> "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/19/00 06:17am >>>
Well, I got a roll back from one of my OM-2n bodies and it seems to have a
light leak at the bottom.  Oddly, not every frame, but most, show about a
1/2 inch of black.  It was across two rolls and the other 3 I had developed
at the same time and same place are perfect, so I'm pretty sure it's the
camera.

I have a foam kit I got from the Olympus guy.  Does anyone have any
experience or suggestions?  I assume I need to use ligher fluid or something
similar to remove the old foam and glue first?

Is this a do-it-yourself project, or should I just send it to John?

Thanks

Tom