Re: [OM] Olympus' frontmounted converters

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus' frontmounted converters
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:19:10 +0200
On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:02:01 +0200, "Per Nordenberg"
<per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>In Oly's digital line there is now several accessory lenses available for the
>different models:
>
>http://www.olympusamerica.com/accessory.asp?accessory=5
>
>http://www.olympus-europa.com/photogra/digimg/products/acessor/telecon/telespecs.h
>tm
>

>Some of these can definately be identified as originating from the iS series,
>such
>as the 0.8x B-28 and B-Macro converters. The 1.45x teleconverter (now
>designated
>TCON-14), which can be used with all digital SLR's as well as the C-2000Z, on
>the
>other hand remains something of a mystery. There is an optional D-1.45x HQ
>teleconverter available for the Centurion/S/ APS ZLR camera. Can anyone confirm
>that this converter indeed is identical to the 1.45x teleconverter that is
>available for the digital line? It drives me crazy not knowing for sure...

Yes, Per - it is the same thing. I bought a used Centurion D-1.45x
lens for my C-1400XL. Although it may be fine optically (good glass),
this lens is a disaster from a technical point of view. The housing is
completely made of plastic - but this is not the most important
disadvantage. What is worse is, that the mount is of the snap-in type
common to the lens caps! Conseqeuntly you will have a very high risk
of loosing the lens during work.... I have epoxied the needed step-up
ring to the snap-in mount to convert it into a normal screw-in lens.
Since then it does its work properly. Only drawback is that the lens
will no longer take its rear cap.

>Another iS converter not mentioned on Oly's official digital pages but often
>discussed in rec.photo.digital is the 1.7x B-300 teleconverter.

This one is a much better choice - although bulkier and heavier.
All metal, sturdy - and more magnification.
Olympus has recommended the B-1.7x when the first digital SLR's came
on the market - but stopped doing so when the more profitable (for
Olympus, that is) Centurion lens was relaunched for digital use

>Someone mentioned
>that he had managed to glue a 77 mm filter ring into the plastic outer lip of
>the
>B-300, so that a filter could be mounted. Has anyone here tried this? How does
>this comply with the recommendation from Oly that filters cannot be used with
>these frontmounted converters? Presumably they mean filters mounted between the
>camera and the converter, but how about if the filter could be mounted in
>front of
>the converter? If this indeed_is_possible it would be of interest not only for
>all
>iS-3(000)(B-300 users, but also for all digital camera/B-300 users as well as
>owners of any Zuiko lenses compatible with the B-300.

I have never tried it myself, but filters are not possible on the
front without attaching a ring or other device which will take them.
Only place for filters is, like you say yourself, between the
tele-converter and the lens itself. This is easier done on the
IS-cameras than on the digitals, because the latter are more prone to
vignetting. But vignetting might occur on the IS too, in particular
when the zoom is not at full length.

I have thought of combining the two converters, by glueing a 55mm ring
inside the frontal ring of the 1.45x. The 55mm thread will in its turn
take the 1.7x.
This will cause severe vignetting with the digicams, but conversion
goes up to 2.45x, which means 270 mm focal length for the Camedia
SLR's. Even when you can only use the centre of the picture this might
be nice for special occasions. I tried it by taping the two lenses
together, and the results are promising. Another future project...

>Per Nordenberg
>Zoo keeper at Kolmården

Frank van Lindert,
Utrecht Holland.