[OM] E6, speed, to be scanned

Subject: [OM] E6, speed, to be scanned
From: Kenneth Sloan <sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 16:43:56 -0500 (CDT)
I just took delivery on an HP S20xi scanner (slides, negs, small prints)
and am shaking it down.  So far, I like it a lot.

This is about to cause a basic change in what film gets cranked through
my OM-3ti.  So, I'm looking for recommendations on a new film.

In the beginning (the 1970's), I shot transparencies exclusively.  Lots
of Ektachrome (when I needed instant turnaround) and Kodachrome.  I was
very much an "available darkness" fanatic, and unbearably proud of how
slow a shutter speed I could handhold - so it was usually Ektachrome 400
when I felt the need for speed, and K64 when the sun was shining and a
tripod was handy (and I actually cared about the colors...)

And then...kids took over my life and the vast majority of my shooting
became color print.  Fast processing, and double prints for the
grandparents (they were tired of waiting for Type R prints from slides).
Still addicted to speed, so "something by Kodak" 400 was what I used.

The kids are bigger now, and a lot of the photography is out of doors.
You might think that this reduces the need for speed - but you would be
wrong.  The action is often fast paced - and far away. I now find myself
choosing lenses based on the current state of the sundown, or the
stadium lights, picking the longest (and slowest) lens that I can still
barely steady on a monopod.  My workhorse during soccer/lacrosse season
is an F/8 (T/10) 500mm mirror.  I also find myself in dim indoor concert
settings where speed is a major issue.  (my other favorite lens is a
24mm...no middle ground for me!)

So...the new scanner gives me the ability to scan the first generation
slides (or negs) rather than the second generation drugstore prints.  My
"customers" are now as likely to see the images on a web page or
PowerPointPresentation as they are to actually hold a print or look at a
projected transparency (although that will happen too, if I do switch to
slides).

My local shop offers "same day E6" in a big flashy sign - so I suppose
that's my first constraint.

After that, I'm completely ignorant of current slide films.  Given that
I have the "need for speed" (1600 would be nice as my normal rating),
will probably scan most images that others will see, and everything else
above...what do you recommend?  (I see Provia 1600 "for push processing"
in the store's fridge - should I start there?)

Figure that I shoot perhaps 50-100 24/36-exp rolls per year.

Have refridgerator - waiting to be stocked.

(just got back my first roll of Fujicolor 800 - the prints look quite
good.  Now, let's see how the negs scan.)

[technology really is amazing.  In 1975 I scanned 1"x3" prints on a
custom built scanner built around a metal lathe and came away with
9-track tape reels labelled R,G,B containing images at roughly 128x128.
In 1980, I had my very own drum scanner that gave something like 500x700
images from 35mm slides.  Today, I'm getting 2Kx2K 36-bit RGB images out
of a box smaller than a toaster oven.  Truly amazing!]

--
Kenneth Sloan                                            sloan@xxxxxxx
Computer and Information Sciences                       (205) 934-2213