Re: [OM] <om content> linking to personal posts saved locally

Subject: Re: [OM] <om content> linking to personal posts saved locally
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 07:21:02 +0000
I think this is perfectly legitimate for mail list and news group postings
provided:
1.  credit is given to the original author(s)
2.  you strip author email addresses out
3.  nothing is pulled out of context to the extent that meaning and intent
substantially changes

It is considered courtesy to make a reasonable effort to let an author know
you are going to do this though (not always possible with very old postings).

Reason for email address removal:  SPAM.  The spammer email address hounds
use web crawling "bots" to search for anything that has an email address
pattern to it.  It's how the email address sellers can claim 10 million or
more email addresses; they log in, turn the bot on and go to bed; wake up,
turn it off, and voila, millions of email addresses gleaned from web pages.