Re: [OM] (OT) How to write an autoreply routine

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) How to write an autoreply routine
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Apr 2000 08:20:23 +1000
Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> on 13 Apr 2000 13:27:29 +1000, you wrote:
You really should have your mailer attribute messages by name, as
threads on this list tend to get long (don't we all know!).

> >This little flood is also an example of why munging "Reply-To:" on a
> >mailing list is a Bad Thing.
> >
> >I believe Reply-To: should be left however the sender set it (it would
> >stop all the accidental replies to the list, also).
>
> I beg to disagree. This would oblige all subscribers to manually change the
> address when sending a reply to a message in the list to the list (IMHO the
> majority of replies). Extremely inconvenient - much more so than filtering
> or manually deleting the occasional automated replies like in the present
> case.

Good mailers have two distinct reply commands:

        "reply to sender"
        "reply to all recipients"

That allows you to make the *choice* where you want to send it,
without having to cut-and-paste *anything*.

See here for a discussion of the pros-and-cons of reply-to: munging:

For those who are interested, I can share a "procmail" filter rule
which un-does the reply-to: munging on the list traffic, which allows
you to reply to sender with having to cut 'n' paste.

(Personally it doesn't overly concern me which way a particular list
is configured, because I use my mail filters to mung the incoming mail
to suit my preferences).

cjb

--
 ------------------ Linux hackers do it in protected mode -------------------
 | Christopher Biggs - Software Engineer, Stallion Technologies, Australia  |