Re: [OM] Phoenix shopping and shooting?

Subject: Re: [OM] Phoenix shopping and shooting?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 23:55:17 +0000
Gary, for a Las Vegas guy you really know some of the best spots in Arizona
(I lived in Phoenix for 20+ years).

All of Gary's recommendations plus:
If you have plenty of time take U.S. Highway 89 _Alternate_ (aka US 89A)
through Oak Creek Canyon.  It is not nearly as fast as I-17 and is quite
winding, but goes through some of the most picturesque area between Phoenix
and the higher altitudes in northern Arizona.  Somewhere along there is a
place called "Slide Rock" a natural water slide through sandstone.  It is
quite picturesqe in itself and you will likely find it populated with
people swimming there.

If you decide to get wet and go down the slide, *don't* do it very many
times in anything you would not want to throw away afterward.  A pair of
old cutoff heavy denim pants (aka "Levi cutoffs") is highly recommended.
The abrasive sandstone is _death_ to regular swimming trunks, but it is an
absolute blast.  At least with the Levi's you have the hip pockets to wear
through first _before_ becoming embarrassed.

Not recommended is the "Apache Trail" which you may hear about.  It is a
very winding road up the back side of four man-made reservoirs and starts
out near Mesa (east of Phoenix).  It may be of some historic interest
because of its past, but there was little along it I can remember worth
seeing much of.  The "Apache Trail" seems to be the "newbie to Arizona
initiation rite."  Most everyone else suffered through it shortly after
moving there, so they will want you to also.  Since I don't live there any
more, I am no longer bound to recommend it to everyone.  ;-)

-- John