[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1567

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1567
From: "David Jenkinson" <Dangerous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 11:48:53 +0100
Hello all,
I thought I'd better introduce myself to the list as a new subscribee, if
thats the right word.
I've been lurking for a few weeks, and I'm very impressed with how busy the
list is, and the amount of good advice I'm hearing.
I have corrently recently returned to the OM system after experimenting with
a variety of systems.  I started in 1986 with an Olympus OM40 which I bought
with a T20 Flash and a 35/2.  I needed a camera for mountaineering and this
seemed to fit the bill.  I didn't know very much, however, and sold the
outfit at a big loss after the camera seized up on a very cold winter day.
Didn't realise that it was probably just the batteries which were too cold.
I'd been (badly) advised that an Canon A1 wouldn't do this, so bought a
tatty 2nd hand one with a few old FD lenses.  I was never really happy with
this, and when the camera froze again I traded for a new Nikon FM2n with a
35/2.8 and an 85/2......which ended up being too bloody heavy, and when I
missed out on magical pictures of a temperature inversion in Glencoe (in
Scotland) because the Nikon was in the car, I decided it was time to change.
I traded the whole lot in and used a smashing wee XA.  I was also able to
get a great wee 35RD rangefinder, which worked very well for four years
until the meter gave up and went south.
With the arrival of two kids, I realised I needed something a bit more
flexible, so I was looking around for something appropriate.  I also
realised that I was really struggling to focus the rangefinders, having
tried a beautiful 35SP as well.   I was amazingly lucky to come across an
OM40 with the Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5 for £90, which amounted to a free lens in
my book, and was then even luckier to get a Zuiko 24/2.8 from a camera shop
in Glasgow which was closing for £40.....yes £40....ha ha!  The 24/2.8 is a
brillaint lens, very sharp from f4 down, and although its an older single
coated version, it has performed very well in a couple of trips, producing
sharp images with great "poke" giving really punchy pictures.  I'm very
happy.  I was also looking for a Tokina 80-200/2.8, and managed to get one
cheap from Ace cameras in Bath, but when it arrived it was just to huge, and
so they took it back and I took a Zuiko 135/2.8 instead.  Incidentally, I
was very pleased with Ace cameras services and their prices seemed OK to.
Without prejudice based on my experiences, I'd recommend them to UK listees.
I'm now looking without a lot of hope for ideally a 2nd hand Zuiko MC 85/2,
and I was wondering if it was worthwhile sticking my neck out for a new one
from KEH or somebody in the states (it's just too expensive to buy a new one
in the UK.).  If you've got this far you've done well, so I'd appreciate any
thoughts from the list.
I expect my OM40 will eventually expire, but at the moment I'm very happy
with it.  Knowing more about photography than I did when I first got one, I
really appreciate the excellent metering, as I use mostly Kodachrome 64 in
the mountains.  I'll save up for an OM4Ti for when it retires.....
Thanks for listening, I do go on a bit!
Chhers
Dave