Re: [OM] More on Portrait Lighting

Subject: Re: [OM] More on Portrait Lighting
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 03:18:36 EDT
 pfranklin@xxxxxxxx writes:

<< A Fashion Ring Flash is fairly large.  They're mostly used with medium
 format cameras.  They probably would have a guide number of 100 to 150.

Phillip,
        After asking you this question I happened to pass Kibble and Schucat
a local camera store that has a fairly large (seperate) studio rental&sales
business. I found exactly what you describe made by the Swiss firm Profoto.
The flash tube itself is huge probably 15cm (6") in diameter at least. The
strobe does not look like it mounts on the camera but you would mount it's
built in right angle plate to the camera base or tripod. (something like a
tripod big tele mount ) They  also had a version with the tube masked by a
ring reflector so that the tube does not directly light the subject but it
then had a much wider circular reflector pointing forward looking like the OM
ringflash with the wide reflector ring. The effective light ring size is then
much larger and also more diffuse. Definetly not your compact OM gear!

  Regards,