[OM] Prism resilvering, was OM1 foam replacement

Subject: [OM] Prism resilvering, was OM1 foam replacement
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 19:21:29 -0400
Hi Craig, I think it much more likely that your Oly prism is aluminized
instead of silvered.  From a manufacturing and usage standpoint,
aluminum is cheaper, more durable and doesn't present any danger of
chemical explosion from the (and this is stretching my memory) mercury
fulminate used in the silvering process.  Silver is a bit more
reflective but I don't think it would be used anymore due to poor
durability relative to aluminum.

Anyhow, I think I'd want to know what the original material was before
putting silver on top of it.  You can't do aluminizing without a vacuum
chamber but I assume that places which re-aluminize telescope mirrors
could do a prism.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Craig Roberts said:
Thanks for the prism info.  I'll be sending you my OM-2n as soon as my
Rollei SL66 returns from its overhaul.  I mean, I gotta have a camera.
The
prism damage is slight at this point, so I'll just opt for your
cleaning.
However, in case you're ever in need of the service,  I located an
antique
restoration artist in Michigan who says he can do prism resilvering.  He
seems like a nice fellow and a couple of friends of mine in the antique
business say he has a good reputation for quality work. He's:

Steve Robinson
http://robinsonsantiques.com

Antique Hardware & Mirror Resilvering
at Robinsons Antiques