[OM] Cleaning or replacement for Vivitar 28-85 zoom

Subject: [OM] Cleaning or replacement for Vivitar 28-85 zoom
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 08:00:44 -0400
Don't really know anything about this lens but my guess is that to
remove the front element or group you'd have to unscrew the name ring
using a rubber friction ring.  The three screws you've already removed
are probably just set screws to keep the front group from turning.  Once
the name ring is removed from the front and the set screws released you
can probably unscrew the front group.  You will probably mess up the
focus adjustment if you don't get the front group back in exactly where
it was.

Dunno about the flat bottomed, cross slotted screws.  But I wouldn't
mess with 'em if I didn't have to.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Jez said:
Maybe some of you have made a similar experience or upgrade...

CLEANING FUNGUS
- ---------------
This zoom has got a case of the fungus and I can't seem to get it apart
clean it.  From others' descriptions it seems to be a common sort of
construction.

I have removed the rubber around the zoom ring and managed to get three
small slotted screws out.  But this didn't release the front fungussed
element.  There are two holes which I can line up with two cross-head
screws that I think I need to remove but I can't get them to move.
They're
not Philips or Pozidriv screws but have two flat-bottomed cross-slots.
What sort of screwdriver are you supposed to use?  I've tried all my
flat-blade jewelers screwdrivers and either ruined them or I can't get
enough torque to shift the screws.