Re: [OM] OM10 & OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] OM10 & OM2000
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 08:45:11 -0700
DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Your Grandma had style! Smart woman!
> Susan

(This WRT my grandma buying me first OM-1 back in the early 70s and
Susan's advice that an OM-1 is a camera to keep for life...she's right
BTW).

I would like to give her the credit of choice...but I can't. I had (at
that tender young age by some miracle) an old Leica M2 with 50mm f2
summicron I had gotten from a relative. That was (I think) my second
serious 35mm camera (my first was an Exacta something or another). My
first ever job (at 12 years old, for no cash pay...just free film,
paper, and darkroom access) was at a camera store/photo lab in Monterey,
CA called Darkroom Lab and Camera (for those that know Monterey, Bay
Photo Lab is now in the location on Lighthouse Ave.). I really liked the
Leica but when the OM-1 came out I found it to be an SLR that felt like,
somewhat sounded like (all be it a lot louder), and had a lens system
touted by Olympus as being comparable to Leitz for less money, I was
instantly enamoured...I had to have an OM-1! I gave the Leica to grandpa
and grandma bought me the OM-1. In my not so bright late teens I was
given the Leica back when my grandpa bought an Olympus XA2 because the
Leica was "too big" and fool that I was...sold it for something like
$200 bucks :( (Wish I kept it...)

One can see that my almost sick preference for OMs goes back a long way
which is why as long as I am shooting film, I will be doing so with an
OM. At this point for me, using a wunderbrick would be an entire new
learning curve. I have doubts my work would improve and more than likely
would suffer from it.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com