[OM] Results of my first home studio experiments

Subject: [OM] Results of my first home studio experiments
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:55:29 PDT
Cc: HVeluwen@xxxxxxxxxxx, mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

O.k., the results are in, and I'm not too disappointed about them. Almost evrything in the pictures is more or less the way I wanted it. There's only one thing seriously off, and that's the background.

The tiger pattern is wild, but it works for me. I guess that since it is "deliberately" wild, it is not distracting. Besides, in some of the pictures we used a tiger dress and a tiger umbrella (as a prop), so that went really well with the background. The "background-problem", however, is of a different nature: the paper is too shiny, so in _all_ the pictures (apart from the ones where coincidentially the background is hidden from the view by the umbrella) there is a big nasty reflection from the flash light, right to the top left of the model. This is very disturbing, and causes the pictures not to be keepers (which they would have been it it weren't for these reflections). Does anyone know good ways to prevent such reflections, other than using less-reflective background paper (maybe using a circ-pol?)?

Still the results are very suitable for learning purposes:
-Flashes: I now know more or less what to expect from the flash set-up (this worked remarkably well; nice diffuse light and no nasty imbalance or shadows). It seems like at least in my case the TTL did do a good job on it. -Background: The background story is clear now. I now realise that wild patterns can work, but that I need to be more careful with reflections on it. Probably for the next shots I will buy some paper rolls that are not so reflective. -Models: As expected Karol is a natural, I love the way she poses. Gioconda didn't do so bad either, but she always has a bit more tense look on her face, and is not (yet?) as natural as Karol. I hope she too will soon feel comfortable with posing. -Poses: This is one of the main good things about these pictures, we tried a lot of different poses, so now we can start looking which ones we like, and which ones didn't work so well. -Clothes/props: Again, we tried various different things, with varying results. This is another of these things we'll carefully have to analyse to see what we like best. -Compositions: Not too many surprises here. Composition-wise there are not too many lessons to be learned for me, as I already more or less knew what the compositions would look like.

So, tonight I shall show the results to the "panel of judges" and see what the women think about them, and then we can all learn our lessons and hope to get improved shots during subsequent set-ups.

Cheers!
Olafo

PS: No time whatsoever to scan some of these pictures, besides, they're not good enough to be put on my page, so that'll have to wait until a later stage.