Re: [OM] In the studio (of sorts) - selective response

Subject: Re: [OM] In the studio (of sorts) - selective response
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:09:58 -0700
====While I appreciate the feedback, I completely disagree with you.  The
entire
point of the entire Olympus TTL system, cords, multiconnectors, etc., is
that camera controls the flash units in almost every situation.  That should
include up to 9 flash units in almost every position.====

Yes with proper technique you should be able to get good results.
But not good control.
The only real problem I see is the shadows.
Light placement and power control _IS_ portrait photography.
You need to reduce the output of one of those units by al least one stop.
If need be, cover one with some cloth like a handkerchief.
The TTL will shut down after the chosen F stop is reached
so you will have a ratio.

====I shouldn't have to do the work myself, meaning with a separate meter,
with
the possible exception of correction for the camera's tendency to believe
that everything is a medium gray.=====

For your intention of using the OM TTL system you are correct.
If you want to get into more advanced portraits later then you
need all the other stuff.  You do have to deal with reflective exposure
though.
So I would try to use a neutral background and neutral clothing.
The lab should be able to print from a negative to give an OK print.

===I don't mean to be argumentative, and everyone's comments are a huge
help, I
just still believe this should be attainable with the expensive equipment
that I own.  If not, I might as well have bought a P&S.=====

Expensive does not make it the best tool for the job.
You could also go to manual and use the distance calculation for each light.
That would be better in my opinion.  No diffuser though because that would
change
the guide number.

===I suspect some of it is that I'm overpowering the situation, although the
camera should handle it.  Some of it is just the lab.  Some of it (perhaps
most of it) is the photographer.====

What f stop are you using?
f-8 should be fine for 2 T-32's at 8 feet and diffused.
I would like to see you try direct flash.  The T-32's are not really
designed for diffusers.

===I'll take everyone's suggestions and give it another shot, probably with
slides this time.====

Not me.  I would buy some cheap print film and have it developed at a
cheap 1 hour.
You need to get the set up right before expecting keeper results.

===Thanks to all,

Tom===

One more thing,  If you do buy some studio stuff, forget the soft boxes.
Use umbrellas.  Softboxes don't meet their potential unless you use bare
bulbs.
And don't buy translucent umbrellas unless you NEED to shoot through them.
Too much light loss.  Get them as opaque as possible.