[OM] Re: LCD SHUTTERS

Subject: [OM] Re: LCD SHUTTERS
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:54:44 +1000
Err, I didn't explain myself very well.

What I meant was this:

When "closed" ie black, the LCD panel is not completely opaque, it still
lets a lot of light through. So if you made an LCD shutter camera, the
film would get fogged even when the shutter was closed. To solve the
lack of opacity a mechanical shutter is used to cap the LCD screen
before and after exposure.

This problem is is addition to any diffraction and image aberrations
caused by imperfect light transmission when the shutter is "open" and,
as somebody else mentioned, the fact that the LCD panel absorbs a lot of light.

Hey, I just had an idea why you cannot find the patents: look for LCD
projection devices like Datashows and other video projectors. They are
the reverse of what you are talking about here, but the principle is the
same where the LCD array modulates and controls light transmission.

Vaughan